BROWNING ANDOVER MATCH GROUP



Tuesday 19 April 2011

Dynamite Baits Festival, Day 4.


Day 4, Trewaters.




The forth day and the section was going to be split between Jenny's lake and Trewaters. I was hoping for Jenny's as I have fished it before, but as my lucky drawing hand was letting me down this week I got peg 41 on Trewaters! A quick chat with some of the regulars and was told it wasn't a brilliant peg but there were enough fish to have a go at, all be it f1's, something that I never have really fished for before. After a 20 minute drive I arrived at the lake and I was on the bottom of the 2 lakes, they looked quite nice with an island at 19m across. I set up the pole and a small method rod, I never bothered with the waggler as there was a nasty skimming wind from left to right. I have been told that the fish were averaging 1/2 to 1lb, so I set up three rigs on yellow hollow.


Trewaters, Bottom Lake.
The first at 5m an 0.14-0.12, 911-16. the second was similar, but would be fished at 14.5m, and a shallow rig for over the the top, as I was expecting them to come off the bottom. I was going to feed corn at 5m, and pellet at 14.5m. with some meat as an alternative bait. I had pumped some expander's for the hook on the far line. At the all in I slipped an expander onto the hook and a few 6mm pellets into the toss pot and went out with the depth rig, the wind was quite nasty and was considering fishing at 13m, but felt that being closer to the island would be better. After a minute or so I hooked a nice 3/4lb f1, out again and the same, it was then that the missed bites started, the float absolutely sailing away and not connecting with anything. I was hooking about 1 in 10! Bloody frustrating! I put the shallow rig out to see if that would improve the catch rate, all it did was to increase the ratio of missed bites to hooking the little blighters! I decided to ease off the feed and have a look on the 5m line which I had been trickling the corn over.



Peg 41, Trewaters.
I had a couple of fish but they weren't really there, I had to wait for the bites so I decided to leave it and keep trickling it in. I had a quick go with the method, couldn't miss those bites! but I was having to wait along time again, the pole it was then. The fast missed bites carried on until the end of the match, I couldn't work out how to improve the missed bite to hooked fish ratio, the only thing that would of helped was a very stiff pole, and a lot more practice at f1 fishing! I weighed in 27lb 10 oz, 3rd to last in section. I felt I should of done better,and was extremely frustrated the way the day had gone, I just need to work out how to fish for small f1's! Either that or take up golf! , then again I would probably loose all my balls!





Bold

No comments:

Post a Comment