BROWNING ANDOVER MATCH GROUP



Sunday 17 April 2011

Dynamite Baits Festival, Day 3.

Day 3, Pollawyn.


The sun was out and the forecast was for a lovely sunny day in Cornwall, after the previous day's poor showing I was hoping for a good draw today. Pollawyn is one of the lakes that I have fished before, and I was looking forward to getting back on it. At the organised chaos that is the draw, I pulled out peg 41, and the bloke behind took a sharp inhale of breath and shook his head! Great another bum draw! The peg is down in the corner of one arm, and the fish don't congregate down there very often, apparently! Looking at the previous weight from yesterday it looked dire, 11lb had come of it! So I made my way to my peg full of enthusiasm!



Looking Up Pollawyn From Peg 41.



I arrived at my peg and my first thoughts was that looked quite nice! An island in front and a nice long margin to my left. An all out pole approach was called for. I was going to keep it fairly simple and fish tight to the island in front, and have another line at 7m, and a long margin swim at 13m. The island was 16m across, but with no wind I wouldn't have to battle the pole, the only problem was the high bank behind me, making shipping a bit tricky. Two identical rigs were set up across, kc cubes on 0.16 straight through to a 16-911, to green hollow. It was only 18" deep and I plumbed up next to a small clump of Irises. I used the same rigs for the margin as it was the same depth. The 7m was kc chimp on 0.12 - 0.10, 911-18, to yellow hollow, which I was going to be my skimmer line, hopefully!




Peg 41, In The Corner Of One Of The Arms.


At the all in my opening gambit was to cup some ground bait and micros on to the 7m line, and a big pot full of chopped worm and caster in the margins. I was going to start across and see what happened. After a few minutes with corn on the hook and I had my first bite, a f1 of a 1lb, I was catapulting a few 6mm pellets across, not many but enough to hope fully pull a few bigger specimens in. After a little while I latched into a bigger specimen, a nice carp of 7lb ish. I had to wait for the next bite but what a scrap that turned out to be, a clonking great Tench about 6lb! And boy didn't he go! I was quite happy in my little corner and I was beating the guys either side of me. I was still having to wait between bites, feeding a few pellets every few minutes, but when they came along they were usually good fish. The next 2 fish both shed the hook into a snag further along the island on my right, a bit annoying, but they new where it was, and they were in there before I could stop them.




16m To The Island.


I hooked a couple more decent carp of 5lb before it went very quiet in the middle of the match. I had a look in the margins, but the wasn't much doing, so a re-feed and onto the 7m line. I was hoping a few skimmers would of settled but all I could get was some small roach, the guys either side of me also weren't getting many silvers so I made the decision to go all out across and hope the margins would produce later. Back out across and the bigger fish made way for small fish, f1's, small barbel and skimmers. I was getting regular bites and was building the weight slowly, nothing fantastic but I was hoping for a reasonable result. I had a few looks in the margins but there wasn't much there. The end came and the scales man weighed me in, 34lb 10 oz, not to bad and middle of the section, a pretty good result, well an improvement on the day before!



No comments:

Post a Comment