BROWNING ANDOVER MATCH GROUP



Saturday 16 April 2011

Dynamite Baits Festival, Day 2.

Day 2, Bolingey. After some heavy overnight rain, the weather was cold and gusty for the day's match at Bolingey. The talk at the draw was that it could affect the weights, but the good pegs should still produce. I stuck my hand in the bag and pulled out peg 12, a quick chat with some of the regulars and they said it wasn't brilliant, and a look on the previous days results showed that it had come last in section, so it was some trepidation that I made my way to the lake which is just outside Perranporth. When I arrived at my peg it revealed an island chuck, with the pegging quite tight, it somewhat restricted what I could do. I decided on a method to the island, 2 pole lines 1 at 14.5m, the other at 6m, and a margin to my left. A View Of Bolingey Lake. With the fish running from big to huge the gear was set up accordingly, the method was 8lb mainline to a 0.20 4" hook length, the 2 pole lines were both 0.18 straight through to a 911 14, both married to orange hollow, the depth was 8ft. on the 14.5m line and 7ft. at 6m. I also set a shallow rig up just in case they wanted it up in the water. The margin was 0.18 to a strong 14 animal hook, married to a solid 20, I was plumbing up next to some willow roots so a strong elastic seemed appropriate! I had meat for 6m line, corn for the margins, and pellet for the 14.5m. Some ground bait micro mix was mixed up for the method feeder. The wind was gusting, and I had a one of those feelings it was going to be one of those days! At the all in I cupped a few bits of meat out to 6m, some pellet out to 14.5, and some corn down the edge.

Looking Down The Lake From Peg 12. I Chucked the method to the corner of the island hoping it would go round, but I didn't even get so much as a liner! A few fish were being caught at my end of the lake, but it was obvious it was going to be slow. A good hour had passed and nothing, but I wasn't the only one, but it felt like it! I had a look on the 6m line where I had been trickling in some meat, but not so much as a sniff! It was the same on the other lines as well! Time for some thing different, I chucked the method to the island and started pinging pellet at 14.5m. as there were some fish milling around in the upper water layers. With a a few fish being caught further down the lake I needed to catch some fish, so it was out with the shallow rig and a pellet hook bait. After a good half an hour lifting and dropping and pinging pellet, as well as battling with the gusty wind, I hooked into my first fish which was a nice 4lb mirror carp. Phew one in the net, now for a few more, hopefully! It took a we while again until I hooked into another, which I lost in a snag down to my right hand side, back out again and another good twenty minutes before I hooked into a real corker, a good double figure fish, which didn't want to give up! I knew there were a few fish to be had but the wind was now gusting very strongly and making presentation a nightmare. Time was now getting on, after a couple more fish shallow, I had a look in the margins, slipping on a grain of corn, a few seconds later the float shot away, a bit of a tussle ensued as I tried to extract it from the Willow roots, a few minutes later and it was in the net, and that was it. The all out sounded and I was knackered! The scales came round and I weighed in 28lb 10oz. I had beaten the anglers around me but found out that they weren't in my section! Bit of a blow as I thought I was doing ok. As it turned out I was last in section, hard work for not alot! Perhaps the next day's draw will be kinder to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment