BROWNING ANDOVER MATCH GROUP



Wednesday 21 September 2011

Witherington Teams Of 4, Round 1.

 Witherington's Selwood Lake.

Browning Andover was fielding 2 squads in the Withy teams of 4, this hotly contested 8 round league. Browning Blue, and Green, I was in the Blue squad and volunteered ( thanks John! ) to fish Selwood lake, with 2 others on the snake and another on cottage. After a suitably good breaky, Barry drew me peg 16 on Selwood. Talking to John he informs me it is the shallowest peg on the lake, but does have an aerator to the right in the margins where sometimes the lumps can be caught. Arriving at my peg and it looked ok, a nice bit of colour, and the odd fish moving. It has been a couple of years since I fished Selwood last, but it hasn't changed much.

I set up an 8ft. Browning commercial wand with a small method attached for the island, 2 rigs for the 13m line, which was going to be my skimmer line, an 0.10 and an 0.12, a 6m meat line on 0.16, and a margin swim down towards the aerator, which was 0.18 for the lumps, hopefully. I had soaked micros, expander's, meat and corn, and some worms, that should hopefully tempt something. At the all in I cupped in some meat on the 6m line, and some micros out at 13m, and half a pot of corn in the margin. I chucked the method to the island for the first fifteen minutes, one to let the other swims settle, and two hopefully there would be something lurking around the island. Without so much as a line bite it was time to have a look on the pole lines.

Peg 16 On Selwood.

A quick look in the margins and on the 6m meat line resulted in no bites, so it was out to the 13m line. A couple of pegs round and they were catching skimmers regularly, but I was having to work for any bite, a couple of small skimmers was all that I could tempt. I kept trickling corn into the margins, and meat onto the 6m line. I was struggling a little and went back onto the method for a bit. Still no bites on that so I decided to have a good look in the margins. A foul hooker almost instantly I dropped a bait in, encouraging, then a few minutes later I hooked one properly. A lengthy tussle ensued, before I slipped the net under a nice 8 lb fish. The Heavens then opened up, and what with the thunder and lightning, turning the day very unpleasant.

Giving the margin line a rest I had a look onto the other 2 pole lines, only a couple of small skimmers out on the 13m was the result. It was becoming clear that the majority of the skimmers were further round the lake, and the only way I was going to do something was to catch a few more lumps, so I decided to concentrate in the margins, plus the fact the weather had deteriorated and fishing the margins was easier! I kept trickling in the corn before I hooked Carp number 2, a smaller fish of about 5lb. A good hour had passed before I hooked the 3rd lump, and this gave me a good battle before it was in the net, another fish of about 8lb. I felt I was not doing to bad now, as it went into the final hour. I foul  hooked a fished which tore through my margin swim before the hooked pulled. Not another bite until 10 seconds before the all out, and then I was doing battle with a a right old beast! It didn't want to play ball at all, and wouldn't come within netting range, but after battling with it well into overtime, I managed to subdue it, and folded it into the landing net! A nice double to end the day with. My 4 Carp weighed 32lb, and with 2lb 8oz of skimmers I ended up 4th on the lake, not a bad result at all. Browning Blue ended up 6th on the day, with all to play for over the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment